Nestled Breakfast Eggs
What You Need:
- 1 t of ground cumin
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored seeded and sliced ling
- 2 russet potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1/2 t of salt
- 1/4 t of pepper
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 4 thick slices of whole grain bread
How to Make It:
- Adjust the oven temperature to 450 degrees allowing the oven to preheat.
- Lightly spray the inside and the lid of a All-Clad Cast Aluminum 5-1/2-Quart Dutch Oven.
- Spread the cumin seeds over the entire bottom of the pan.
- Scatter the garlic over the cumin seeds then add the onion, bell pepper and then the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top.
- Place the cabbage into the pan and make 4 wells to hold each egg.
- Carefully break the eggs into the well leaving the yolk intact.
- Its okay if part of the eggs leak out of the wells they will still be nestled inside the wells.
- Lay a slice of bread over the top of each well.
- Cover and bake 32 minutes or until cooked through.
These eggs bake similar to a poached egg. Use whole grain bread or bread with seeds such as sunflower to give this dish a little texture. Add a glass of juice for a well balanced breakfast.
Preparation Time: approximately 15 minutes
Baking Time: approximately 32 minutes
Total Time: approximately 47 minutes
Nutritional Information: (approximate values per serving)
Calories 420; Fat 12g; Carbohydrates 57g; Cholesterol 426 mg; Sodium 462 mg; Protein 23g;
So, this coming weekend, grab your All Clad Dutch Oven and prepare these tasty nested eggs. It is so tasty and nutritious you really do not need more than that glass of orange juice to make it a complete meal. If you are serving this dish as a brunch though, a tasty salad will complete it very well.