To give you and idea here is a recipe for a tasty Onion Soup for you to try:
- 4 C beef broth
- 1/4 C butter
- 3 C onion, sliced
- 1 t salt
- 1 T sugar
- 2 T flour
- 1/4 C dry Vermouth
- 1 loaf French bread cut into slices
- 1 C Mozzarella cheese, shredded
How to Make It:
- Pour the beef broth in the crock pot and cover.
- Set the crock pot on high and allow the broth to cook while preparing the onions.
- Place the butter into a small skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter has completely melted add the onions and stir to cover with the melted butter.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the onions for 15 minutes,
- Stir in the salt and sugar and continue cooking about 5 minutes or until the onions are a nice golden brown.
- Stir in the flour being sure it is completely incorporated into the mixture.
- Place the mixture into the crock pot.
- Pour the dry Vermouth into the crock pot and stir to incorporate.
- Cover and cook on the high temperature setting for 3 hours.
- When the soup is ready to serve fill oven proof bowls about 2/3 full with the soup.
- Turn on the broiler and allow it to heat up.
- Place a slice of the bread onto the top of each bowl of soup.
- Sprinkle the bread slice with the cheese.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and place them in broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Serving Size: 6
The dry Vermouth gives this soup a bold taste. Cognac or even water can be used in its place if you prefer.To be honest, most of the time I use dry wine and the end result is very tasty. Keep in mind that whatever you decide to add to your soup make sure you add good quality. The rule is: If you will not drink it, do not add it to your food. This is really important as you can spoil a lovely dish with some inferior product.
This Onion Soup with Mozzarella French Bread Recipe does not need such a long cooking time, which is ideal for when you want to have a meal ready in a shorter time, but you still do not want to have to watch your stove all the time. Shorter cooking time with the benefits of your West Bend Slow Cooker.