So, I thought I will give you an example of a tasty recipe.
Beefy Cabbage Layers
What You Need:
- 1/2 C of pearl barley
- 1 C of water
- 1/2 t of salt
- 1/4 t of pepper
- 8 intact large green cabbage leaves, divided
- 2 (14 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 T of lemon juice
- 2 T light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 t of parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 C of raisins
How to Make It:
- Allow the oven to preheat to 450 degrees.
- Generously spray the inside and lid of an All Clad Dutch Oven with cooking spray.
- Place the barley into a strainer.
- Rinse the barley under cold water and allow the water to drain.
- Pour the barley into the prepared pan.
- Pour the water over the barley in the pan and sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
- Arrange a single layer of cabbage over the barley.
- Drain the tomato juice into a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the brown sugar until dissolved.
- Place the eggs into a separate mixing bowl and beat lightly with a fork.
- Add the onion, carrot, beef, parsley and garlic.
- Mix the ingredients together well with your hands.
- Fold the tomatoes into the meat mixture until well combined.
- Drop half of the meat mixture in an even layer over the cabbage leaves.
- Pour half of the tomato juice mixture over the top then sprinkle with the raisins.
- Layer more cabbage leaves over the top in a single layer.
- Evenly layer the remaining meat mixture over the cabbage leaves.
- Layer any remaining cabbage leaves over the meat.
- Pour the remaining tomato juice mixture over the cabbage leaves.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
Preparation Time: approximately 20 minutes
Baking Time: approximately 45 minutes
Total Time: approximately 1 hour 05 minutes
Nutritional Information: (approximate values per serving)
Calories 350; Fat 8g; Carbohydrates 55g; Cholesterol 144 mg; Sodium 525 mg; Protein 20g;