So here is a very basic recipe for a salted tongue, you can adjust the spices to your taste. What I actually use here in South Africa is a spice mixture you get that is called "pickling spice"
Ingredients for your salted tongue recipe:
- 1 Pound of course salt
- 11/2 ounce of saltpeter
- ½ ounce of pepper corns
- 2 Pints of boiling water
- ½ pound of brown sugar
- 1 Tongue
- Pour the water over all the ingredients but the tongue
- Rub the meat well with some additional salt
- Place in the salting liquid and make sure it is completely covered
- Place a plate on top of it as weight to keep it completely covered with the liquid
- Leave it in the liquid for 3 to 4 days
When you want to boil your tongue:
- Soak it in fresh water for one hour.
- Cover the meat with fresh water and boil for 3 to 4 hours until tender (in a Presto Pressure Cooker 8 Qt you only need to boil it for 55 minutes)
- Remove the skin from the tongue very carefully
- Let the tongue cool of in the cooking liquid to absorb a part of the lost juices again
- To shape your tongue into a "pressed" tongue roll it tight and place a plate with weights on it to press the tongue
- When you are ready to serve it slice it with your Chef's Choice 632 International Gourmet VariTilt Electric Food Slicer
Enjoy! Of course you can simply buy a whole pressed tongue at the deli and slice it yourself; you will still save a lot of money.