Here is and exceptional one that uses apples and it is surprisingly tasty. If you want the thyme in this recipe to be fresh and tasty you can use a Cuisinart SG 10 Electric Spice and Nut Grinder to ground it just before you use it.
Creamy Apple Cheddar Soup Recipe
What You Need For This Recipe:
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 C onion, chopped fine
- 1/8 tsp. ground thyme (use your Cuisinart SG 10 Electric Spice and Nut Grinder for this!)
- 1/4 C white wine
- 5 C chicken broth
- 4 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
How to Make It:
- Heat the oil to hot but not smoking in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Place the apples, potato, celery and onion into the hot oil.
- Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour the wine into the pot and stir well.
- Pour in the chicken broth and continue cooking 35 minutes.
- Pour the entire mixture into the blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the soup pot.
- Turn heat to lowest temperature.
- Stir in the cheese and cream.
- Sprinkle with the nutmeg and pepper.
- Continue cooking on low until heated through about 15 minutes.
- Be careful not to being the soup to a boil or the cheese and cream will curdle.
This soup does wonders on a cold winter day. Serve it with a sandwich for a full and delicious meal.