For this recipe you will need three cups of very strong coffee to make the coffee extract you will be using in your coffee sandwich cake recipe.
Coffee Extract Recipe:
- Caramelize 1 cup of white sugar until it is a light brown syrup
- Remove from the heat and add 3 cups of very strong coffee and 11/2 teaspoon of salt
- Heat again and stir all the time until the sugar has dissolved and boil for 30 minutes.
- Bottle and store in the fridge for the use in this cake and all kinds of coffee drinks such as iced coffee, mocha milk shakes or mocha frosting.
Coffee Sandwich Recipe
- 3 table spoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons coffee extract
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 11/2 cups flour
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- Heat oil and milk
- Add coffee extract and heat again
- Beat eggs and sugar very well (in a stand mixer such as the Cuisinart Sm-55 5-1/2-Quart Stand Mixers)
- Sift the flour and salt and fold into the egg and sugar mixture
- Add the baking powder and gently stir it in
- Lastly add the warm liquid mixture and stir in gently
- Pour into paper lined and greased cake tine
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes until the cake springs make when you gently touch it.
- Use a coffee frosting between the layer and to decorate the cake.