Reasons for using it:
1. It uses very little electricity and is therefore very economical.
2. Because you are making use of slow cooking methods, you can buy the cheaper cuts and still serve tender tasty meat to your family.
3. The ingredients for the recipes can be prepared the previous evening and then you can simply assemble it all in the morning before you leave for work.
4. Food cooked in the slow cooker is not so time sensitive, if it takes a little longer before everyone is home for dinner; the food will not spoil and will still be tasty and moist when served.
5. The slow cooking at low temperatures ensures that the flavor of a stew or soup is exceptional.
6. Because of the longer cooking time, flavors develop and you can use less salt which is a health benefit.
7. With a little experience you will be able to convert all your favorite recipes. Experiment!
To show you how easy it is, here is a tasty recipe for you: Lentil Taco Stew Recipe
This recipe can be used as a topping for nachos or as a stew depending on how many liquid ingredients you add.
Combine the following ingredients:
• 2 Cups Chopped Sweet Peppers (Red or Green or combination)
• 1 Cup Lentils (Dry - rinse and drain first)
• 1 Cup Chopped Onion
• 1/2 Cup Brown Rice (Dry)
• 4 Cloves Garlic
• 2 Tsp. Chili Powder
• 1 Tsp. Sea Salt
• 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
Cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
In last 30 minutes of cooking time, add:
1 Summer Squash, sliced thin
Serve on top of organic corn tortilla chips along with traditional Mexican side dishes such as cheese, salsa, sour cream and lettuce.
Alternatively you can add more broth and make a stew to serve with mashed potatoes. As the recipe has brown rice in, it can also be served with only a salad.
Most recipes for slow cookers are of such a nature that you can leave it on it's own for most of the cooking time, then you only have to add the finishing touches when you get home and your meal is ready to serve. Be on the lookout for more easy and tasty slow cooker recipes.
I have more recipes for you at Recipes For Slow Cookers and lots of other tasty recipes for conventional cooking methods at Best Recipes Cookbooks. You can also visit my site All Our Recipes & More for even more recipes.